Monday, October 6, 2014

Dear Friends,

  It is Monday evening here, October 6.  We have a very impressive full moon in the sky and a big ring around it, which usually means rain is imminent.  We will take it!

  I spent the morning on the computer, reading about the Tigers and Lions in their major failures, and then after feeling I had had enough of that, I wandered the grounds of our retreat center on what was a beautiful morning to admire the jakaranda trees in bloom while they are dropping their little purple bell-shaped blossoms on the ground and often forming a carpet of purple that is just so lovely, so really delicate in its beauty.  This afternoon I donned my farmer clothes and worked nearly three hours on my roses.  They are turning out to be something quite impressive.  I just love to do this because when working in the dirt I get a complete mental break from my usual work.  My mind is completely on weeding, digging, applying the food for the roots, trimming with my clippers, etc.  I sweat and enjoy the creativity of it all, while working with the elements (bone meal and composted cow manure) to put them around the roots of the roses and then add lots of water.  I loosen the soil, pull out weeds or grass that has grown in close and compete with the rose for its nutrition.  The variety of colors in the blossoms I am getting makes it a delight to observe.  Almost every day I make sure to walk by this plot just to enjoy and admire.  The vines I planted some weeks ago are climbing relentlessly up a wooden pole and will someday put out yellow and orange flowers, little ones, and form like a lit-up torch.

   Up to about 5 day ago I was feeling so exhausted and not sleeping well nor enough. I have been working on a very packed schedule for the last 2-3 weeks with not enough space between the end of one task and the start of the next one.  I have asked not to guide retreatants for our next round (October 7-16) and so I will be operating at a much reduced work load for almost the next two weeks.  In the meantime I have been getting caught up on my sleep, napping sometimes--which I almost never do--and then doing what I did this afternoon: work in the dirt with the roses or sometimes I work out on a treadmill and a stationery bike.  I should sleep well tonight!!

  Last week I finally secured my driver's license.  At the same time I finally got my entry visa card, a permanent card that makes me officially legal in this nation.  I can now leave Kenya and be sure I can get back in without any trouble.

   I get a haircut at a local shop for about $3.50.  The local barbers are so used to cutting wiry hair for black Kenyans.  So when a white man comes in with  straight hair, they have to really shift in their methods.  What do you expect for $3.50??  Whatever is done, it can always grow out; nature can correct mistakes!  I usually tip the barber another 85 cents (100 shillings).  I have yet to be hacked or chopped.  So far I have not been made into an embarrassment in public!!

  I am following closely and praying a lot for the synod of bishops meeting in Rome for the next two weeks. It has huge, huge implications for the way church leaders conduct a synod or council (dialogic, collegial, and empowered to make decisions) as well as on its central theme:  marriage and the family.   This year's two week meeting will prepare for another two week followup meeting a year from now.

  I am starting to fade away, even though it is only 8:30 PM.  I have to get up at 6 AM tomorrow to go to a nearby high school where I am guiding six faculty members in how to pray with certain passages of the bible I have given them.  They are all doing well, which makes my travel time and energy given to guiding them worth it.

   Take care.

Bernie Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment