Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Dear Friends,

  I have some unusual news to tell you.  For the purposes of some needed surgery I am returning to the States in early March where insurance will cover the costs, something that would cost me $4000 here in Kenya.  I am having to get up 4-6-8 times a night to go to the bathroom (obstructed urethra) and surgery is needed to alleviate this pressure.  I was very "down" when I got this news.  I did not want to go back "so soon," since I was planning to return two months later and I had lots of things yet to do here.  So after my letting it all out with God, I said "OK, let's get this thing done" and begin to get consistent quality sleep at night.  I am feeling tired more than usual.  Too often I do not get sustained, quality sleep, so I feel punch-drunk, maybe it is better to simply say, I drag myself as much as I can during the day, and when I can not do that any longer, I surrender and take a nap.

  I have been taking the strongest medicine available.  At first it really helped but after three weeks its effect was minimal.  Two urologists independent of each other counseled the same:  I need surgery to change my situation for the better.  If I don't do this, then over time my kidneys will suffer, so I was told.  Many men my age have to have this procedure.  It is part of life and I really am grateful that it is not worse.  I could be dealing with cancer.  But fortunately not so.  Anyway, this is one of those reminders that my life/our lives are not our own.  We belong to our Creator and there is a loving Providence we are all surrounded by and we have to trust that and go with it.  Fighting it only makes matters worse; besides, it is an insult to our Maker to act that way.   There will come a day, I suppose, when I will have to face my impending death.  I am guessing I will wrestle sometime with that and then let go, and once I can let go, there will be a tremendous closeness between me and my Maker, a wonderful prelude to the indescribable moment when we will finally be face to face.

  On this Ash Wednesday I wish all of you who read this a Lent full of God's choicest blessings that readies you for an Easter full of the joy of the risen Christ.  I will be seeing some of you for Easter, just about the week when my book is finally, finally available for sale!

Bernie Owens

 

No comments:

Post a Comment