Sunday, October 6, 2013

Dear Friends,

  I typed a long letter on this day, October 6 but am afraid I lost it all.
  So quickly, I have great news to share:  Liturgical Publishing Company in Collegeville wants to publish my book but after I pare it down from 257 pages to about 180.  That is a lot of cutting but I will do it.  I so want this book to be born!!  I have worked on it for three years.  When will it be born?  I suspect next summer or fall; it will take me till next March or so to find time to make the needed changes.  Its title is:  More Than You Could Ever Imagine: Ignatian and Carmelite Insights on Our Becoming Divine.   It tells the process of how God leads those willing in love and trust to take on the fullness of divine life, what we will be like individually in the next life and what will be the nature of our life as a whole human race in the next life.  Kind of lofty??  Certainly, but as the Christian scriptures promise:  "Eye has not seen, ear has not heard nor has it so much as entered into the minds of humanity what God has prepared for those who love Him."  It is more than one could ever imagine.
  Then I have a weekend retreat to lead for 17 young African Jesuit priests next weekend (October 11-13).   I would greatly appreciate your praying for all of us.  It is a very important event for them and for me.  Thanks again. 
  Kenya is still numb from the tragedy of the massacre two weekends ago.  Pray for this country and its future, please.  So much promise here and at the same time so much poverty and unemployment.  This stands in contrast to the beauty of nature here.
  God bless.  I need to go.

Bernie Owens

3 comments:

  1. Your book sounds awesome and I look forward to reading it. I continue to pray for you and for all in Kenya. I am going to Mobile, AL this week to spend the rest of the month helping my son's family prepare for & welcome baby #4. Back to Michigan for commissioning then the big move to Atlanta. This is the year for transitions! Peace, Mary Dudley (p.s. not sure why this comes to you from ML - can't figure out how to fix it)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful news about your book! Thank you for sharing so much about your new life in Nairobi. I feel so blessed to be able to stay connected in this way.
    Let us continue to keep each other in prayer. I will be co-directing a retreat Oct 17-20! Blessings, Diane Neville

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news about your book! A suggestion, you should keep the long version for your friends who may like to read the long version...Keep writing, I love reading your blog. - Sergio AKA Torq :)

    ReplyDelete