Thursday, September 8, 2016

Dear Friends, Here it is Thursday eve, the 8th, our first day of sun and clear sky in over a week, maybe 10 days. It felt so good today finally to feel the sun's warmth. We have been wearing sweaters and coats, hats sometimes too, to fend off the severe cold that has been on us for so long. the constant overcast wears down people's enthusiasm. What a factor to change people's attitude, to put smiles back on people's faces. We are experiencing, hopefully, the end of winter and the first approaches of spring time. I am aware that it isn't till September 21 that spring officially sets in for this part of the world, but it felt like spring today, easily in the mid 70s. The nights have been downright cold, temps in the 40s. With no heat in our rooms you want an extra wool blanket on the bed and a hat on your head throughout the night. Bare tile floors push you to wear socks too. My mornings have been spent listening to retreatants, each talking with me for 30-45 minutes. What moving things they share! There are 22 people here making that retreat; Three of these I am guiding. (I am guiding two others for just 8 days in length.) The 30-day retreatants began their retreat on August 15 and will finish on September 15. In the last few days they have been praying on the passion of Christ, from the last Supper till His death and burial. Today they were praying just on the execution and burial of Jesus. Tomorrow on the experience of Mary, the mother of Jesus, while witnessing the execution of her son and then overseeing his burial. Can you imagine what she went through!!! (This is what I spoke about during the homily of the mass I led for all of them this afternoon, 60 in all. It was the feast day of her birth. What were the spiritual strengths that were hers that enabled her to survive such a test and still trust God??!!)They spend four hours a day, an hour per period, on some aspect of this story . It so humbles them, astounds them at times, even scares some. I myself am very moved by what they say when they debrief. They inspire me, in turn, about things I consider bringing to my book now in the first stages of writing. Last Sunday afternoon it was my turn to lead the mass for the retreatants. It was also the day Mother Teresa of Calcutta was canonized a saint by Pope Francis in Rome. I did not see the TV coverage, even though we had it here, but was with retreatants during the mass going on in Rome. We are one hour ahead of Rome during their summer, two hours ahead when they go off Daylight Savings time. We never change our clocks. I took the three readings of Sunday and showed how Mother Teresa lived out the spirit of each one. Three of the 30-day retreatants are Missionaries of Charity sisters, and they did the readings and organized the music for the mass. I congratulated them and their religious community in public at the end of my homily on this very happy occasion and personally for their own vocations to such a remarkable religious order. I have hurt my lower back and went to a chiropractor last Friday to have it straightened. It did help for a few days. Today it has felt like I have hurt something again in that area. For the life of me, I cannot recall a particular moment when I did hurt myself in that area. Maybe poor posture while sitting in a chair listening to retreatants?? It is really bothersome. I plan to go back to the doctor late tomorrow afternoon. So often there is some reminder that this life is not our final life, this earth is not heaven! I have been reading a short book on the saint (St. Teresa Margaret Redi of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, died 1770) whose preserved body in Florence, Italy I visited last November. Her story continues to stir me deeply and make me long for something of her spirit and focus in relating to God. My prayer these last days has been so blessed! Something really good is going on! Too early to say much more than that. I look forward to November 29 when I can begin my own annual 8 day retreat, finishing on December 8. I need to move on, friends. I wish the best to each and all of you. Overall I am quite fine and really blessed with the work I have the opportunity to do. The book writing moves along in spurts or reading and then writing. 15 years come this Sunday since 9/11. Pray for our country in this coming election. I do not feel encouraged. I so pray we can stay out of any kind of war. There is still so much of it in parts of the Middle East and in spots of Africa. God bless. Bernie Owens

No comments:

Post a Comment