Saturday, September 6, 2014

Dear Friends,

  It is Saturday evening, September 6.  The last two days have been rainy, drizzling and really cold.  Ugh.  Since our rooms are not heated, it has really been tough.  I got out my extra blanket to add to the heavy one I already have on the bed.  This afternoon we saw the sun briefly and the temps went up to a comfortable high 60s or so.  The almost full moon is visible tonite since the clouds cleared.  I can't wait for spring to begin (September 22) and summer to come to us (December 21!)

  Second week of classes.  Two more students joined my Wednesday class.  We now make twelve in all, four Indians and the rest are Africans, half are Jesuits and the other half a smattering of various congregations.  All seminarians, the first group of all males I have had for any kind of academic study since 1969!

  I have been feeling unusually tired lately.  I slept two hours late this morning (11AM--1 PM) and feel a little more normal this evening.  Still, I don't feel fully restored.  One guides retreats week after week and they go right through a weekend so that you lose a sense of the rhythm of a 7-day week.  After awhile it can feel like a heavy grind!  Listening well is a lot of work.  I am not sure many people appreciate that!  On top of this I am teaching, and Monday AM I begin an 8-week prep for teachers at St. Al's High School for AIDS orphans to prepare for making the Spiritual Exercises starting next January.  I hope I have not bitten off too much.

   This afternoon I listened to two retreatants and one directee, all who spoke so movingly of God's indescribable, deep love.  The retreatants are presently praying on the washing of the feet, on the Last Supper, and Jesus' horrible experience in the Garden of Gethsemani.   I was very moved!  I leave such conversations wishing I could bring each of you into the room to hear what I hear.  It would very likely give us all a very different take on the world and on what is important and what to be truly concerned about.  Truly, this love is unprecedented and is worth everything.  It changes everything.  It is "the pearl of great price." And it is what will claim us all in the end.

   Well, I am really tired and I am saying "goodnite".  Blessings on you and whatever you are engaged in.  May it all be worthy of Him and His love for you and me.

  Bernie Owens

 

No comments:

Post a Comment